Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mmm.. No Rice Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya

I was told I should start a blog of my food creations, or the recipes that I follow. So, here I am.

I hope to inspire a few people to step outside of their normal food routines during the week, and try something new and totally yummy!

Well, on this lovely budgeted low carb meal plan (E-mealz.com), tonight's recipe was a No Rice Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya. Let me just say, it completely went beyond my expectations. I love Cajun food, but this take on it was just fabulous. It was perfected seasoned (with my own Cajun seasoning). Of course it had that little kick, but it was definitely cooled down by the side of honeydew melon. My father said we definitely have to have that again. That's when I know it's a winner. And I'm glad I had this totally yummy and healthy dinner, because 3 light Babybels and half a cookie/frosting sandwich doesn't count as a lunch.



So, here's the recipe:



2 chicken breasts, pounded and thinly sliced


olive oil and salt


1/2 of an onion, diced


1 tablespoon of minced garlic



2 yellow squash, cubed


1 zucchini, cubed


1 lb. shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined


Cajun seasoning


Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chicken and season with salt. Cook until done. Set aside. Add in pan: zucchini, squash, onion, garlic, and cajun seasoning. Be careful because it's hot. Cook in pan for 4-5 minutes. Add in shrimp and chicken. Heat thoroughly. Serve with sliced honeydew or canteloupe (lovely cooling effect).

This recipe completely surprised me. It leaves a little heat in the back of your throat, but only from the little bit of cayenne in the cajun seasoning. I will say, I am looking forward to the left-overs.

Bon appetit.









No comments:

Post a Comment